about 1 year ago
Welcome to the 2015 – 2016 school year! Our commitment at Pine Valley Middle School is to provide a Safe, Respectful, and Responsible learning environment that will empower students to become creative problem solvers, critical thinkers, and inspired learners prepared for high school, college, and life in the twenty-first century.
I would like to continue the high expectations for our students in regards to academic performance within the classroom, participation in co-curricular activities as well as responsible citizens at school and in the community. I am asking each student to make a commitment to demonstrating Safe, Respectful, and Responsible behavior by being active participants in their learning community. Doing so will enable all to have a successful and enjoyable school year.
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) will be fully adopted this year in Math and Language Arts classes; with Science and History coming soon. CCSS makes for a more rigorous approach to learning as students will be challenged to develop their analytical skills, communicate their learning verbally, in writing, and/or in a presentation. In almost every classroom, students will have access to technology that will allow for more real time collaboration with their peers and increase their 21stcentury learning experiences.
Middle school is a time of a change. It is an exciting time, but it can also be challenging with the increase in workloads and the social adjustment that occur through the course of the day. Pine Valley Middle School Jr. Redhawks, I encourage you to do the following so you can be successful in your transition and time in middle school:
- Conduct yourself in a Safe manner at all times.
- Communicate with others in a Respectful and meaningful way.
- Pose questions, examine possibilities, and challenge yourself to find solutions.
- Surround yourself with positive people.
- Make positive choices related to physical and mental wellness; and
- Contribute to our school community in a collaborative Responsible manner.
Parents, please make time to:
- Ask your student(s) specific questions about their time at school. For example, “What was the most interesting thing you did in math class today?” or “Tell me about your science assignment?”
- Use the Parent Portal early and often. The Portal will give you relevant information regarding your child’s performance on their homework, a test or quiz as well as their attendance. Your interest and concern in their school progress will motivate them to do their best.
- Communicate with your child’s teachers and staff members to establish a successful home/school connection.
We are looking forward to a positive, upbeat school year at Pine Valley Middle School. I encourage all students to connect with our school; stand up to mistreatment, vandalism, and to anything you know is not right. Remind yourself you do not have to follow the crowd. Be yourself and even when no one is watching, do the right thing. Parents, please help us by reinforcing school expectations at home. With your help, Pine Valley Middle School will continue to be a school community in which every person feels respected, valued, and is encouraged and challenged to achieve at the highest levels.
I encourage you all to be active in our PTSA. Our partnership is essential for our continued success. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and know that my door is always open.
I am excited for the opportunity to work with you and your student to provide a productive and safe learning environment that supports student success. Once again, welcome to Pine Valley Middle School!
I am honored to serve as your principal